Wednesday, July 20, 2011

berry pickin & pie

On Sunday I journeyed to Butler's Orchard in Germantown, MD with my friend Helaina to scout out some ripe blackberries, and blueberries. Oh, and delicious berries we found! This Farm was delightful- from the country store, berry and flower picking, games and hayrides to the great prices! Yep, I went home with half a bucket of blackberries for around $6- not counting the ones we devoured while picking hehe. Can't wait to go back next month for the raspberries.

This experience reminded me of how easily I take grocery shopping for granted. I've got a weekly Farmers Market, Harris Teeter, Giant, Trader Joes, Whole Foods, Shoppers, and several other markets to chose from within 10 minutes of my house, and I feel like many Americans, such as myself, too often forget how easily accessible food is. After one day of berry picking in the heat with stubborn gnats swarming my face, I had a new appreciation for the grueling work farmers do to provide us with these edible luxuries. With busy lives, it's easy to get distracted from how lucky we are to have daily access to fresh foods. I encourage you to go picking- it's a great experience for all ages, and chew longer- take the time to enjoy and give thanks for the food you eat, and where it comes from! 

Almost time for pie...






stained fingers- worth it!

time for blueberries




berries + a paring knife + a caramel- to hold me over
= time for pies

peach & blueberry



very berry- blueberry & blackberry


Time to head to John & Liz's for Pool, Pie & (meet the new) Puppy time! 


the boys walking Wyatt- the most adorable puppy!


Silly puppy, hold still...


Ok, that works :)

It was a Great weekend, and now to have some more pie!

Yum

No comments:

Post a Comment