Friday, June 3, 2011

oldie but goodie


We've all heard it before, "you don't know what you have until it's gone," and this week I was reminded of it in our dining room. Several months ago I brought home a Duncan Phyfe table I scored from Craigslist for $50. I may have been slightly impulsive, and weak in the knees for the stunning legs leading to claw feet-I'm a sucker for claw feet, and it so reminded me of the Hotel Tabbard Inn (future post!)



Examples of Duncan Phyfe dining tables.





Currently for sale on (DC) Craigslist

$435

$100

$150

$1000 (No, I didn't add an extra 0 by accident!)

Our original table was a hand-me-down from my folks. It was simple, and a nice size-fit 6 comfortably and had a huge, built in leaf allowing it to fit up to 10 people. 

Our original set-up when we first moved in.

I thought I was ready for change...

Below is Mr. Phyfe, who I brought home (oh yes, very very heavy, ugh.) Michael knew from the beginning Mr. Phyfe was not exactly a good fit, but I on the other hand insisted on giving him a shot... I dreamed about refinishing him one day, and searching for new chairs. After 3 months or so, I too realized this was not meant to be. Duncan was too large for our space, and perhaps our old table wasn't so bad... 


Luckily, we had moved the old table to the basement and didn't sell it! We pulled a switcheroo and my gosh, I never realized what a lovely (and practical) table this was to begin with. I feel like Goldilocks, all of a sudden everything about this table seems to be just right. I see the light, yet again. 
Michael-Thanks for being patient, you were right (famous last words.)

With that said, welcome back.










No comments:

Post a Comment