Thursday, April 7, 2011

smitten for picnics

Spring is that you? Are you really here?
I think SO. Then it's time for a picnic! Lazy afternoons, cloud-watching, daydreaming, frisbee, flower picking, bird watching, sunbathing, storytelling, sweet tea, and tasty treats, this is what comes to mind when I think of picnicking.


more daydreaming

Top 5 picnic spots around town:


1.) Gravelly Point, Arlington. Lovely view of the Washington skyline, and very close to the planes landing and taking off from the airport. 


2.) Old Town, Alexandria. Charming waterfront views, and don't forget to stop for ice cream (soft serve-yes!)


3.) Georgetown, DC. The canals or down by the waterfront have great views, and people watching. Still in the mood for ice cream? Try the gelato at Dean & Deluca-to die for.


4.) National Arboretum, DC. A peaceful setting (in the middle of DC!) with hundreds of great spots, and bring quarters to feed the coy.  


5.) River Farm, Alexandria. The most intimate, and quiet spot. Headquarters of the American Horticultural Society, there's always something blooming and breathtaking. Bring the kids, they have a really cool children's garden to explore. 


Picnic checklist:


A blanket, pillow, frisbee, book or magazine, sunblock, bug repellent, binoculars, something with a hard surface to put drinks on, hand sanitizer, napkins, plastic silverware, and a trash bag. For an elegant touch bring a parasol, or paper fan, and pack linen napkins rather than paper ones.


Wait, you're not done...


Water, ice, tea or chilled wine, baguette, favorite deli meat, cheese, fruit that isn't too messy, trail-mix or nuts, and something sweet-share a cupcake. When you're shopping for a picnic, buy small quantities, and splurge a little on the good quality stuff-it's worth it!


We have something similar to this picnic backpack-it's great for short hikes! You can find this guy on Amazon.
Yeah, I know, enough with the cheesy pics.


Let's end on a sweet note; why I love picnics...


I can remember sitting on a park bench with my parents in Italy taking in the breathtaking views, sharing a fresh baguette, salami, stinky (but delicious) cheese, fresh fruit, and wine (for them, I was 6,) "bubble water" for me. Feeding the ducks our leftover bread. Even at such a young age I appreciated the scenery and simplicity of it all. Take time to smell the roses.


Manet
Picnics gone wild. For you, Michael.
tehe

2 comments:

  1. Hey! Picnics are great! I don't remember when I did my last one, but I think near my Buenos Aires apartments there is a nice square and available for doing picnics!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm adding "picnic in Buenos Aires" to my bucket list! Love it!

    ReplyDelete